The Cold Case Posse – Failed conclusions March 1 2012

— Or the end of a ‘god of the gaps’ argument —

The Cold Case Posse released the following document on March 1, 2012 as a preliminary release of their findings. In it, its experts outline how they reached a conclusion of “forgery”. Note that they never really identified a ‘forger’ other than by claiming that regular scanning processes would not create specific artifacts.

Zullo appears to have understood this when he issued a challenge to show how a simple workflow would indeed create artifacts similar to the ones found in the WH Long Form Birth Certificate.

And here my challenge started. While it was almost self evident that the artifacts were the result of a Mixed Raster Compression process, the Cold Case Posse as well as its critics, had remained unable to locate a specific workflow/scanner that would result in a PDF that matched ‘all’ of the artifacts. Until serendipity and some creative digging unearthed not only a wealth of confirming evidence, but also led to the identification of a likely ‘suspect’: A Xerox WorkCentre…

Thus my task is relatively simple:

Show how a repeatable workflow creates the artifacts identified (and more). My hypothesis is not even competing with a positive hypothesis but rather one based on what is commonly known as an ‘argument from ignorance‘ aka a ‘god of the gaps’ argument. The ‘argument’ goes as follows: We do not understand how ‘xxx’ could have resulted in ‘yyy’ and therefor ‘yyy’ must have been ‘designed’/’forged’. Of course, when one can show how a simple process can result in ‘yyy’, the conclusion of forgery is significantly weakened. When one can show how a simple workflow can explain close to a dozen ‘artifacts’, any argument from ignorance is totally destroyed.

Of course, simple does not mean trivial and it took some careful investigation to locate some predictors (the quantization tables and the YCbCr jpeg comment which appear to have been overlooked by the CCP experts) and then, through serendipity I ran across a scan created on a 7655 Xerox WorkCentre, followed by one found on one owned by the White House… Then the pieces started to slowly fall into place while more and more ‘features’ found in the WH LFBC pdf were matched to the workflow. And note that several of these ‘artifacts’ had been identified before the ‘forger’ had been located…Quite powerful…

Mara Zebest, raises various issues that disappear when the workflow involving a Xerox WorkCentre is understood. She came close to understand it, when she observed that

Examine how the layers divide the image into pieces. It is analogous to taking a scissor and cutting the image into random rectangle.

This is a somewhat crude description of the Mixed Raster Compression technique used. So let’s look at some of the failed conclusions.

Zebest 1But a simple scan using a Xerox Workcentre helps understands what happened here:

The document was indeed divided into pieces, in a process that is called Mixed Raster Compression. The algorithm separates the background from foreground text in approximately the same color. The background is encoded in highly lossy JPEG and sub-sampled to 150 ppi, while the foreground is represented as a colored bitmask, sub-sampled to 300 ppi. This process causes exactly the appearance of ‘anti-aliasing’ versus bitmapped text, and which letters become part of the a foreground bitmap or the background, depends on the details of the algorithm. It is indeed, the ‘random’ distribution of letters over the foreground and background that defies a forgery conclusion as one would have to explain why a forger is so sloppy.

zebest 3In fact, a simple experiment with a Xerox WorkCentre shows exactly this effect. And the preview step causes an extra clipping mask. This is a repeatable process and totally runs counter to this claim about a ‘normal scan’ being a flat file. This is perhaps true for lower end desktop scanners but high end devices offer a large variety of ways to capture a document.

Zebest 4Well, yes, by the Xerox MRC algorithm. Again, this is a repeatable process where the images, which are captures in landscape form have to be rotated for proper display. In addition, the 300 ppi images have to be scaled 24% to fit the 72 PPI settings for the PDF, and the 150 ppi image has to be scaled 48%. This was already explained before the Xerox had been identified. Anyone familiar with how MRC works, could have understood the scaling aspects.

Zebest 5Again, a simple experiment using Preview shows that this is flawed as well. I am somewhat amazed that no such experiments have been reported to understand the impact of using preview on PDF’s.

Zebest 6The safety paper is ‘painted’ first and the white halos are a side effect of the MRC process, which at least logically can be understood and has been observed in real Xerox created documents. It also does no make sense from a forgery perspective that the background layer would be done so poorly. The CCP has never explained why the forger appears to have been so ‘incompetent’… A simple work flow however explains it all.

Note that John Woodman contacted an expert who also observed

If it was a forgery it was a very sloppy job. Any photoshop-knowledgeable person, of the garden variety, can do a much better job than that. If it is automated, it is a lousy job too, but bear in mind that algorithms for these jobs are not trained on specific documents. They were more likely developed, trained and tested on magazine pages and books. A US birth certificate is unlikely to give good results because it may be an outlier in the big picture of all documents they had in mind when developed their MRC tool.

Concluding

In summary I can only say I see much stronger signs of common MRC algorithmic processing of the image rather than some intentional manipulation.

Sincerely

Ricardo L. de Queiroz

Now Ms Zebest did manage to put to rest an early explanation of OCR, which however was quickly rejected by those who had proposed it.

As to the ‘smiley face’ and the ‘misspelling’ there are quite reasonable explanations for this that do not require a jump to an accusation of ‘forgery’. These will remain minor mysteries of little relevance.

Ms Zebest also raised the issue of x-ray, where the ‘white’ behind the text that was separated from the background showed color texture. Again, this is a predictable side effect of JPEG encoding and has been successfully repeated in experiments.

Now we get to the stamp layer, which nicely separates as one layer. Which is of course easy to understand, realizing that the stamp ink has a distinctive color that allows the MRC algorithm to detect it. In some of the experiments, full lifting of the stamp layer was achieved.

As to the attempt to recreate the Halo, sufficient to say that the example fails to even get close to the observed effects. But that is far less damaging than the simple observation that Xerox scanned PDF’s show the same ‘x-ray’ and halo effects.

Others who have fallen victim to the Gap Argument…

I’ve read your book. I give you credit for trying, but your conclusions are wrong. Neither adaptive nor MRC compression can result in the type of layers seen in Obama’s birth certificate. I’ve been testing this for over 6 months and can prove it conclusively.

Garrett Papit

and

The fact is, until you provide even one example of optimization creating multiple 1-bit image mask layers, your hypothesis is untenable.

And it isn’t just an issue of using the right combination of settings. The fact is that both Adaptive compression and MRC compression only create a single 1-bit image mask layer. Therefore it is not possible that these processes created the layers on the WH PDF. The WH PDF defies the characteristics of an optimized file.

Garrett Papit

49 thoughts on “The Cold Case Posse – Failed conclusions March 1 2012

  1. Previously when the MCCCP was found to have offered assertions that were objectively defenestrated by more competent “obot” researchers, Mike Zullo’s response has been to simply go silent. Birther bloggers such as Ladysforest and Butterdiezillion who have personal contact with Zullo have already attested (for example) that Zullo is fully aware that the centerpiece of his July 2012 press conference, the coding notations, was proved to be wrong. But while he appears to have offered his fellow birthers excuses that admit the assertions to have been false, he continues to mislead them in terms of the fact that they were actively fraudulent. And to the rest of us, he marches on in unqualified denial, never having admitted publicly what he has admitted privately.

    Zullo has demonstrated that he lacks the personal integrity to confront his own failures, and cannot be trusted to accept the truth let alone allow it to interfere with what appears at this point to have become a partisan political crusade. As such I have taken the minimal action of composing letters to those who he has dishonestly approached with his “evidence” (Representative Stockman for example) and offered them the counter-voice of your excellent and rigorous research. I have posted elsewhere that you have done yeoman’s work in this investigation, and you have my admiration and thanks for the effort you have put into it. In what will someday be the history of an admittedly trivial historical sideshow, you have delivered one of the seminal moments. The mission to civilize is built on efforts like yours.

    You, NBC, are the man. Unless you are a woman. I actually just realized I don’t know one way or the other.

  2. As such I have taken the minimal action of composing letters to those who he has dishonestly approached with his “evidence” (Representative Stockman for example) and offered them the counter-voice of your excellent and rigorous research.

    ..

    You, NBC, are the man. Unless you are a woman. I actually just realized I don’t know one way or the other.

    ROTFL… Regardless, I thank you for your kind words. This is all a group effort started with John Woodman and others, who understood that this all pointed to MRC, followed by the observant minds of many who suggested Xerox, combined with people like Vicklund who looked for Xerox patents, combined with people like RC who did the work to scan and confirm my findings. Then there are those who carry forward my findings: people like you and Dr C who are explaining its relevance and bring it to the attention of others. And I am sure I have missed many others… My apologies.

    I did my part, I had a lot of fun as it is extremely rewarding to see all the puzzle pieces fall in place.

    And then finally you get the unexpected support from Hermitian and even John manages to surprise me by actually doing an experiment, perhaps on the wrong machine but still… How many birthers have actually tried to replicate my findings?…
    They probably know the outcome…

    The fun thing is that I do not have to prove myself to be an expert as my findings stand or fall on their own. All it takes is for someone to take up the challenge and report the findings.
    So will the CCP hide behind the ‘criminal investigation’ ‘excuse’ to avoid having to admit that they were wrong?

    So much fun… It should be illegal… And now we know that birthers are not even enjoying sex… No wonder they are so grumpy…

  3. While NBC has focused on trying to explain the artifacts in Obama’s BC PDF, the CCP should or has approached this thing more from forensic point of view. The CCP is looking for signs of manipulation while NBC looks for natural computer causes. I still say the CCP should or might have run forensic computer testing on the PDF. If that PDF has been manipulated or has been touch by Photoshop or Illustrator, forensic computer software might be able to detect it even if those markers have been erased.

  4. John, it would appear that you have gone from a firm belief in the resources and analysis that the CCP have conducted to very simple wishful thinking.

  5. john wrote:While NBC has focused on trying to explain the artifacts in Obama’s BC PDF, the CCP should or has approached this thing more from forensic point of view. The CCP is looking for signs of manipulation while NBC looks for natural computer causes.

    This makes no sense whatsoever. In any real forensic investigation there would be no difference. A genuine investigation goes where the evidence leads, not where the investigators “want it to go.” Of course, the MCCCP has been hamstrung from the beginning by its complete lack of competent participants, starting with its lead investigator. Even were we to strip away the partisan political motives behind Zullo and team, the individuals who have participated in the Posse’s work have shown at each step that they simply have no idea what they are doing. From Attorney Obrien’s oblivious mischaracterizatiosn of Hawaiian vital statistics statutes to Zullo’s Inspector Clouseau impersonation in Hawaii to Papit’s immortalization of his own inability to run a copying machine… the Posse has been a Saturday morning serial of amateurishness, ineptitude and farce.

    NBC, Kevin Vicklund, RC and the others here do this as a hobby. Zullo continues to inexplicably pretend that he and his team are qualified experts engaged in a criminal investigation. It is simply a humiliation that the admitted amateurs have proven to possess such profound investigative superiority over the “professionals.”

    john wrote: I still say the CCP should or might have run forensic computer testing on the PDF. If that PDF has been manipulated or has been touch by Photoshop or Illustrator, forensic computer software might be able to detect it even if those markers have been erased.

    Army might win the NCAA National Football Championship this season, too. I suggest you not hold your breath regarding the MCCCP any longer than I will hold mine regarding the Army Team.

  6. NBC

    “The fun thing is that I do not have to prove myself to be an expert as my findings stand or fall on their own. All it takes is for someone to take up the challenge and report the findings.

    You have no standing in this arena until you release all of you files and findings and post an affidavit and swear to it. There are just to many holes in your claims for any of them to hold water.

    Least of which is your recent admission that you are unsure as to the methods used to prepare printouts of the WH LFCOLB which were then scanned. You could start by filling in this very large hole in you research.

  7. You have no standing in this arena until you release all of you files and findings and post an affidavit and swear to it. There are just to many holes in your claims for any of them to hold water.

    I need no standing my friend, all I need is to show that the CCP was wrong. That I have established a simple workflow which recreates more than a dozen artifacts is something of a bonus.
    To have you around nipping at the ankles ineffectively is just priceless.

    So desperate… We love you Hermitian,,

  8. If that PDF has been manipulated or has been touch by Photoshop or Illustrator, forensic computer software might be able to detect it even if those markers have been erased.

    Why has it taken the CCP so long to use such tools, assuming that they have access to such tools or the expertise to do so. When I did my in depth analysis, I found the comment tag and the quantization matrix before I had identified the xerox. gsgs had identified the 8 bit alignment. All these features showed up in Xerox, how come that the CCP missed all of these markers?

  9. NBC

    “PDF scanned on Xerox Workcentre 7535 – Part 1

    “Posted on June 30, 2013 by NBC

    “A friendly reader has provided me with a scan on a Xerox WorkCentre 7535: WH LFBC Scanned Xerox 7535 WC The document’s creator and producer are identical: Xerox WorkCentre 7535 The document contains 17 layers. The jpg again contains the comment string YCbCr FF FE 00 07 59 43 62 43 72”

    Above is your earlier post on one of your sources for a copy of the WH LFCOLB…

    Very sloppy research my friend !

  10. Very sloppy research my friend !

    Did you not remember that the 7535 copies came from an external source. Geez my friend, where have you been all this time… Yes, this is incredibly sloppy on your part.

  11. If any of this research should ever find its way into an actual court of law (highly doubtful) let’s remember that President Obama’s attorneys will find and pay the foremost experts in the areas of computer science that are required to convince judges of their expertise. NBC and others have provided those experts with a huge head start on replicating and validating findings. There will be no need to reinvent the wheel.
    The Cold Case Posse’ will also get to see if their experts can be qualified by judges to testify under oath. Qualification in such circumstances often rests on relevant and specific academic credentials and on publications in peer reviewed scientific journals of particular sub-specialties.
    And let’s not forget the simple fact that if the actual DATA on any copy produced by any method of reproduction is identical to the data on the original, vault copy Certificate of Live Birth, there is no crime.
    There are only three pieces of data on a birth certificate that are constitutionally relevant: name, date of birth and place of birth.

  12. There are only three pieces of data on a birth certificate that are constitutionally relevant: name, date of birth and place of birth.

    Exactly…

    But John knows that this will never make it to a court or congress… Hermitian knows this too…

    My lack of expertise in these areas has no relevance to the factual nature or lack thereof of my findings.

    Any such attempts to reject my arguments is bound to fail until someone engages them properly.

    John knows this, Hermitian knows this, and many birthers, deep down, know this.

    Their reactions to my findings are quite enlightening.

  13. Look, I do not envy the position in which the birthers have maneuvered themselves, but their argument from ignorance was their own creation and it only lasted until someone could find a workflow that explains it all.

    And I believe the impact to be quite devastating as it removes any foundation of forgery and therefore, speculations about the DOH of HI etc all become just that, pure speculation not founded in a finding of forgery.

    As long as there existed independent evidence that could be used to insist on a forgery, there was no burden upon the CCP to explain the how, who, when, what and where… They could argue: We KNOW that the document is forged so now all actions need to be looked at in that light. With evidence of the forgery completely undermined, there is no longer such a scenario…

    Of course, even the argument from ignorance failed to impress the DA when asked to prosecute.. Need to get his references again.

    Until the CCP can rebut the Xerox workflow, which shows that it is possible and plausible that it was the ‘forger’ as it explains many of the artifacts, that the CCP claimed could not be explained by a workflow.

    So what remains?… Not much really… African race… Speculative… Smiley face … really… misspelling in stamp … ROTFL… not relevant now that the DOH of HI has verified the white house PDF.

    They are not even close to overcoming the prima facie nature of the documents.

    They can of course try to convince some congress people to open hearings. That would be a fascinating spectacle to watch…

    Let’s just hope that these congress people are aware of the latest findings…😉

  14. Hermitian wrote:You have no standing in this arena until you release all of you files and findings and post an affidavit and swear to it. There are just to many holes in your claims for any of them to hold water.

    What a strange, strange comment. First and foremost, what “arena?” Certainly you cannot possibly be under the misconception that the Cold Case Posse is actually a participant in anything other than online blogging, radio interviews, birther propaganda videos or other forms of vacuous internet hand-waving. Can you? They are certainly not plaintiffs in any civil case. They are certainly not responsible for any criminal charges being filed or indictments handed down. They have proven incapable of getting anybody in congress to give them more than a pat on the head and push out the door. What “arena” do you hallucinate requires NBC to have any “standing” in?

    Second, I’m not exactly clear on what the magic significance is that birthers place on affidavits, but I assure you that if NBC needs to produce one he will be able to produce one that does not begin with the same lie that has prefaced all three of Zullos; specifically the transparently false claim that anything contained within is based on his personal knowledge and that he could competently testify thereto.

    Third, it does not matter what “holes” may or may not remain. It only matters which holes have been filled. And as of this writing every single “hole” that the MCCCP has cited in any of their press conferences and/or all three of Zullo’s affidavits have been completely filled.

    Hermitian wrote:Least of which is your recent admission that you1111 are unsure as to the methods used to prepare printouts of the WH LFCOLB which were then scanned. You could start by filling in this very large hole in you research.

    You consider that a “very large hole?” You must be a very small person.

  15. <strong?NBC Wrote:So what remains?… Not much really… African race… Speculative… Smiley face … really… misspelling in stamp … ROTFL… not relevant now that the DOH of HI has verified the white house PDF.

    Not sure that much attention has been paid to this… but the alleged “misspelling” on the Regstrar’s stamp has been proved to not be an anomaly, by of all people Butterdezillion. We all know that the much higher resolution AP scan shows that the “X” actually is an “H,” but it was unclear as to whether it was bad inking or a bad/damaged stamp. At some point, Butterdezillion received another Hawaii short form that clearly used the same stamp as on Obama’s long form. That stamp can be seen at the bottom of page 5 of Part ! of Butter’s meandering tome “The Putting-it-All-Together series.”

    http://butterdezillion.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/hdoh-red-flags.pdf

    In her classically clueless way, she does not realize that she has essentially proven the stamp with the “typo” to be a genuine stamp actually present in and used by the Hawaii Department of Health.

  16. NBC

    “”Hermitian wrote:Least of which is your recent admission that you are unsure as to the methods used to prepare printouts of the WH LFCOLB which were then scanned. You could start by filling in this very large hole in you research.””

    “You consider that a “very large hole?” You must be a very small person.”

    A forensic examiner must establish the chain of custody of all documents that are utilized in his examinations. Doug Vogt and Paul Irey have carefully done that in spades.

    The “dog ate my homework” is not a scientific principle.

    This hole invalidates your claims unless you can substantiate them some other way.

  17. NBC says:

    September 2, 2013 at 18:12

    “Very sloppy research my friend !

    “Did you not remember that the 7535 copies came from an external source. Geez my friend, where have you been all this time… Yes, this is incredibly sloppy on your part.”

    Do you even know who the external source was or does he use an alias like you ? You didn’t hesitate to spread my real name all over your posts for weeks. We actually don’t even know if you are a NBC. Judging from your accent I would guess not. So that probably gives you an extra charge when you post your drivel. But that’s OK because in America, foreigners can be criminals (many are) and if caught they are prosecuted, convicted and incarcerated and then deported. In your case I’ll be sure to mark the calendar on each of these milestones.

    So the bottom line here is that you have posted only two PDF files of Xerox scanned copies of some unknown copy of the WH LFCOLB. You got one of these two PDFs from some external unnamed source. You then ran this one through Preview a number of times to figure out the required rotation. And then you applied all of your freetoy PDF tools to examine these two files and posted miles of printout on your blogsite.

    And then you claim to have done the same for the Xerox 7655 WC carrying out numerous trial scans of one or two other printouts of the WH LFCOLB. These you claim to have carried out yourself. However you have released exactly zero PDF files from all of these trial scans. So in spite of all your bloviating you have posted at most one Preview print to PDF PDF file which you can claim as your own. An even this one PDF was a modification of one you received from an external unknown source.

    This charade doesn’t even qualify as research — much less research under the constraints of the scientific method.

    We don’t even know if you did any of the things that you claim you did or did you just post stuff you got from hired guns?

  18. A forensic examiner must establish the chain of custody of all documents that are utilized in his examinations. Doug Vogt and Paul Irey have carefully done that in spades.

    Just ignore the facts my dear friend… You are quite desperate. But I am neither a forensic examiner nor do I have any requirements to deal with chain of custody. Anyone, except a few , can trivially repeat my experiments.

    So how is that going for you Hermitian?…

  19. In her classically clueless way, she does not realize that she has essentially proven the stamp with the “typo” to be a genuine stamp actually present in and used by the Hawaii Department of Health.

    Wow, that’s an excellent find. Time to lay to rest yet another myth… Thanks to Butterdezilion of all people…

  20. Hermitian wrote:A forensic examiner must establish the chain of custody of all documents that are utilized in his examinations. Doug Vogt and Paul Irey have carefully done that in spades.

    1. This is a statement that on its face is so idiotic one can only ponder at the cluelessness that spawned it. A forensic examiner will more often than not have no clue whatsoever as to the chain of custody of any document they examine. In point of fact, a strong chain of custody actually negates even the need for a forensic examiner. More to the point, the reason we invented sealed and certificated documents in the first place was to established provenance and authenticity of documentationregardless of custody.

    2. Vogt and Irey have already been declared worthless as witnesses and explicitly non-expert by at least two courts of law. But in terms of “chains of custody” they have no chain of custody that is superior to any other random person who downloads the LFBC PDF from the Whitehouse website. In actuality, Irey did his work on a document (the AP scan) that has an even less rigorous chain of custody than the PDF.

    Hermitian wrote:The “dog ate my homework” is not a scientific principle.

    Since no one has offered that as an excuse for anything, no it isn’t. Not even here. NBCs work here is ultimately not dependent on anything he has produced himself. It is dependent on its reproducibility. Having provided everything necessary for anybody else to reproduce and verify his work, that ball is now officially in the MCCCP’s court. Sadly for he birther community, they have consistently proven incapable of returning serves for at least the last year.

    Hermitian wrote:This hole invalidates your claims unless you can substantiate them some other way.

    The only thing that could invalidate NBC’s claims at this point is subsequent experiments that fail to reproduce his data. I note that you have failed to accomplish this..

  21. “The only thing that could invalidate NBC’s claims at this point is subsequent experiments REPLICATING HIS CONDITIONS AND FOLLOWING HIS METHODS that fail to reproduce his data. I note that you have failed to accomplish this…”

    Tightened it up for you. As john has demonstrated, Birfers don’t do scientific method very well. Got to lead’em by the hand, lead’em by the hand … LOL

  22. Not even here. NBCs work here is ultimately not dependent on anything he has produced himself. It is dependent on its reproducibility. Having provided everything necessary for anybody else to reproduce and verify his work, that ball is now officially in the MCCCP’s court.

    I doubt that our friend Hermetian will ever come to fully appreciate the scientific method.

  23. Tightened it up for you. As john has demonstrated, Birfers don’t do scientific method very well. Got to lead’em by the hand, lead’em by the hand … LOL

    I gladly would do so, if they show some ability to learn. Heck, Hermitian has been instrumental in us rejecting three different scenarios he has presented. Perhaps more but let’s not get to technical here.

    As to not remembering the source of my tests, I would never present the information at this time. If I felt the need to present further evidence, I would start from scratch, doubting my every step, searching for other ways to test them. Remember alignment? Three different ways…

    I never cease doubting myself or my findings. That’s burden and the pleasure of being a scientist at heart.

  24. I have made things relatively straightforward for anyone to reproduce my findings. It does not take much and I have identified the various artifacts and markers I have found that link the Xerox workflow to the WH LFBC.

    Life would be perfect if I were able to get to meet the ‘forger’ in person and find out if I was right about the upside down scan🙂 and find out if it was indeed a 7655 WorkCentre. But life will remain filled with these minor mysteries for sure.

  25. For goodness sake, I believe that the signature found on Obama’s LFBC is identical to the one Butterdezillion has shown us… What a find.. HistorianDude you rock. This will cause another stir in the birther movement…

  26. Wow …. Butters is such a freak. “FUDDY HDOH forced a subordinate to forge … and that subordinate resisted by deliberately adding red flags”.

    Very nice of her to provide, in pursuit of her superconspiracy crazy, another instance of “T:•:E”, blowing up that meme with (shock) the simplest explanation possible. Which had been long conjectured. Stamp is damaged, duh.

  27. A forensic examiner must establish the chain of custody of all documents that are utilized in his examinations. Doug Vogt and Paul Irey have carefully done that in spades.

    This comment got me wondering how well a chain of custody Doug Vogt had established, so I read through his report, and noticed something interesting on Page 12:

    I have received other White House PDF files from Graphic artists around the country. As a result I received a PDF Certificate that was put up on the White House web site no more than 10 minutes after it was uploaded. That PDF showed nine layers, no OCR (see Figure 28), Image file created at7:50 am on the 27th (see Figure 29) and finally the PDF file created using Preview (the print driver)and modified on 4/27/11 at 12:09 p.m., which is similar to my file. My conclusion is that this shows the individuals in the White House were “fixing” or changing this forgery as late as 7:50 a.m., an hour before the pre-news conference.

    So, there were three different versions (all with 9 layers, so most likely from the same source). Vogt noted that two of them had Preview as the Creator (the middle one chronologically is the one that is now available for download – the third one is the one Vogt analyzed, and from Page 10 it sounds like it was modified in some manner by another program, since Preview strips out xmp METADATA, and the structure is obviously different). But the first one, according to Vogt downloaded a mere 10 minutes after it was uploaded, does not have a Creator noted. It was created an hour before the news conference. And if you look at Figure 28, you can see that the filter is FlateDecode/DCTDecode/, which is found in the Xerox files, but not the Preview files.

    It could be that the first version was just an earlier Preview version, and the two filters is just the listing of all filters used in the file. But if so, why didn’t he mention that it was Created by Preview, like he did for the other file he received and specifically identified by the fact that it was created using Preview?

    Is it possible that the first file uploaded to the WH website was actually the PDF file before it was touched by Preview? Did it perhaps have a Creator different from Preview?

    Did Doug Vogt have proof that the WH LFBC PDF was originally scanned on a Xerox WorkCentre 7655, and has kept it hidden from us for over two years?

  28. Did Doug Vogt have proof that the WH LFBC PDF was originally scanned on a Xerox WorkCentre 7655, and has kept it hidden from us for over two years?

    Vogt should answer that question..

  29. Do you even know who the external source was or does he use an alias like you ? You didn’t hesitate to spread my real name all over your posts for weeks.

    I started with Henry Blake and you came in and responded. I was just continuing the naming thread until I realized who you really were.

    But that’s OK because in America, foreigners can be criminals (many are) and if caught they are prosecuted, convicted and incarcerated and then deported. In your case I’ll be sure to mark the calendar on each of these milestones.

    Sure.. I will keep a calendar to keep track of another one of your failed predictions

    So the bottom line here is that you have posted only two PDF files of Xerox scanned copies of some unknown copy of the WH LFCOLB. You got one of these two PDFs from some external unnamed source. You then ran this one through Preview a number of times to figure out the required rotation. And then you applied all of your freetoy PDF tools to examine these two files and posted miles of printout on your blogsite

    Is that what you thin I did… Wow.. you really have not caught on to what I really did. No wonder you have failed to reject any of my arguments… You have been focusing on the wrong parts.

    Now, I could attempt to explain to you what I have done, but I am not sure you would appreciate it.

    We don’t even know if you did any of the things that you claim you did or did you just post stuff you got from hired guns?

    You do seem to suffer from a lack of knowledge, are you not? While I have had several people contributing to the work flow, you have been the best motivator my friend. And your attempts to unsuccessfully rebut my findings have been extremely helpful. You are so funny my dear Hermitian… So helpful… People will come to thank you for helping expose the true forger🙂

    But this is my hypothesis and I am more than able to defend it. The funny part is that noone has really tried, except for perhaps John who at least attempted to scan something on some Xerox machine.

    What have you done to further our understanding in this area other than my motivating to explore and rebut your claims. And for that I truly and honestly thank you. Much of this work would not have been what it is today, if it had not been for your help and encouragements.

  30. Why does Blake have a problem with his real name? He endlessly refers to his laffidavits, to which he signed his (I assume) his legal name. Is he ashamed of something here? It isn’t too late to legally change it to “Hermitian”, Herms. Hermitian Crabs, perhaps.

    You took it on yourself to insert yourself into litigation and make your offline self part of the story. How’s that case going, BTW?

  31. The timezones of the three WH versions were brought up at Doc’s. Might be some more fuel for the fire re: the CreatorTool of the first file:

    Dr. Conspiracy:
    I debunked this back in 2011.

    http://www.obamaconspiracy.org/2011/08/time-anomalies-in-the-white-house-long-form-pdf/

    The way I read the PDF manual, the Z is for Zone and the two digits following are the zone, in this case Z00 or UTC.

    Interesting – I looked at other Preview files, all of them have the Z00’00’ time zone – in other words, it fails to include the timezone for some reason. But it looks like the first one (chronologically) Vogt looked at does have a timezone (that, or they were making it a 3:09 am – highly unlikely). So the probability of this first file being the ‘missing link’ just went up.

  32. In a comment (currently awaiting moderation for multiple links), I said:

    (that, or they were making it a 3:09 am – highly unlikely).

    3:09 am? I meant 3:50 am. Got the two times mixed up.

  33. NBC says:

    September 3, 2013 at 01:00

    “”A forensic examiner must establish the chain of custody of all documents that are utilized in his examinations. Doug Vogt and Paul Irey have carefully done that in spades.””

    “Just ignore the facts my dear friend… You are quite desperate. But I am neither a forensic examiner nor do I have any requirements to deal with chain of custody. Anyone, except a few , can trivially repeat my experiments.”

    “So how is that going for you Hermitian?…”

    You’re no scientist either !

    It’s not going down with me at all.

    What you have tried to pull off on your blog site is not research but chicanery.

    For example, all of your results are affected by the degraded quality of the original printout of the WH LFCOLB PDF image. That’s your claim.

    However, no reader of this blogsite could ever verify that you (or some unidentified third party) actually printed out the WH LFCOLB PDF image for your original.

    Instead, you could have used one of the countless images of the Obama LFCOLB that are scattered all over the internet as your original.

    More importantly, your attitude about this obvious problem is that you could care less.

    Garbage in … Garbage out.

  34. NBC

    “What a strange, strange comment. First and foremost, what “arena?””

    How about the “arena” of your own blogsite? I would think that you would at least strive to maintain your integrity on your own blogsite.

  35. NBC

    “”If any of this research should ever find its way into an actual court of law (highly doubtful) let’s remember that President Obama’s attorneys will find and pay the foremost experts in the areas of computer science that are required to convince judges of their expertise.””

    Not a problem. By then all of our evidence will be bullet proof.

  36. Hermitian: More importantly, your attitude about this obvious problem is that you could care less.

    Poor Hermitian, he still has nothing… He still does not understand that I have presented all the necessary steps for anyone to repeat or debunk my findings.

    What has Hermitian done instead?… Focus on non issues.

    I have provided all the necessary steps, I have identified all the issues I believe are explained by this workflow. Anyone can trivially repeat the experiments and report on them…

    Do I care about your non-issues? Well I try to address them but in the end they just become noise…

  37. Hermitian: How about the “arena” of your own blogsite? I would think that you would at least strive to maintain your integrity on your own blogsite.

    You are responding to HistorianDude my friend. Attention to detail…

  38. Hermitian: Not a problem. By then all of our evidence will be bullet proof.

    Ah, the ever promissory note… Sure Hermitian, next time your evidence will be bullet proof. Just not this time…

    Poor Hermitian… Still hoping for the unlikely.

    Have you managed to repeat my experiments? Or are you still looking for a Xerox scanner and someone with a Mac🙂

    All it takes is one experiment…

  39. I was the source for the Xerox 7535 scans. I Henry is accusing me of doctoring anything he is a liar and I will gladly tell him where to stick his accusations.

  40. Hermitian wrote:

    However, no reader of this blogsite could ever verify that you (or some unidentified third party) actually printed out the WH LFCOLB PDF image for your original.

    Instead, you could have used one of the countless images of the Obama LFCOLB that are scattered all over the internet as your original.
    And in this way Hermitian shows that he remains desperately unclear on the concept. At the most fundamental level it doesn’t matter what source document is put through the workflow. The birther “anomalies” are not ultimately dependent on the document being scanned. They are products of the hardware and software used and show up regardless of what is being scanned. That fact alone eviscerates any MCCCP claims of evidence for forgery… or at least any of the claims they have previously offered in their two press conferences, five affidavits and countless episodes of blog/radio hand waving.

    The use of a printed out version of the President’s long form simply narrows the otherwise trivial variation between any other random scanned document and the Whitehouse PDF. Certainly, it goes some greater way towards making the Posse’s incompetence more accessible… but from a technical perspective was never actually necessary. Some will narrow the variation more than others, but at the bottom line this is simply frosting the cake that has already been baked. As herring go, it is doubtful Hermitian could come up with one any more blazingly scarlet.

  41. Hermitian wrote: “How about the “arena” of your own blogsite?”

    I’m sure I speak for many of us here in noting that NBC’s standing in the “arena” of his own blogsite is substantively unchallenged.

  42. I’m sure I speak for many of us here in noting that NBC’s standing in the “arena” of his own blogsite is substantively unchallenged.

    Not to mention how my sitting is also quite comfortable.

  43. NBC: If any of this research should ever find its way into an actual court of law (highly doubtful) let’s remember that President Obama’s attorneys will find and pay the foremost experts in the areas of computer science that are required to convince judges of their expertise.

    Not to mention, his attorney’s would be bringing the certificate, the letter from the DOH, and maybe even a guest from Hawaii. How will Hermie’s bullet-proof evidence stand up to a DOH certified document that happens to match the PDF?

  44. NBC: “Life would be perfect if I were able to get to meet the ‘forger’ in person and find out if I was right about the upside down scan”
    Gibbs said in one of his press conferences that “I put it on the Internet”. Why not contact him and ask if he was speaking literally?

  45. Actually he said “I’m the guy that said put the President’s birth certificate on the Internet two years ago.”

    He later repeats a question from another reporter – “Why did I put it on the internet?” But that was just him repeating the question, not admitting he actual did it.

Comments are closed.